Saturday, March 31, 2012

How Surfing Changes Your Perception of the Ocean

Surfing certainly transforms one's body especially in terms of gaining a greater sense of balance. Surfing also transforms one's mind especially in learning how to read waves and understand ocean movement. Surfing also does one another thing: teaches someone the beauty and significance of the ocean. A beginner surfer doesn't just learn how to ride waves but also develop a greater respect for the ocean including the creatures that inhabit it. A surfer starts to understand that the ocean is bigger and stronger than the surfer itself. The ocean can consume a surfer if the surfer is not prudent and doesn't take the proper precautions before even entering the water. Nevertheless, a surfer especially one who grows up facing the ocean from his or her bedroom window doesn't just see the ocean as a "foreign entity" but rather a second home that gives he or she a great sense of belonging.

One example of how surfing has enabled me to be so emotionally attached to the ocean is through trying to act as a guardian for protecting wildlife. For example, a couple of years ago after catching a couple waves and making my way back to shore, I noticed a group of people huddled together not too far away from me. Being a curious and cynical person, I made my way to the crowd of people. I noticed immediately a video camera filming something and children laughing at something. I saw in a man's hand, a large horseshoe crab struggling to get lose. The man holding it and other people seemed fascinated by it but were tormenting it because the man wanted to see how long the horseshoe crab would be able survive without water. I didn't what was worse; watching the horseshoe crab struggle or the children laughing at it. I thought to myself how bad a message this man was sending to children. He made it seem as if tantalizing wildlife was okay.

Since I have such a deep respect for the ocean and its creatures, I took the horseshoe crab that the man eventually let go, picked up this drop dead gorgeous creature and walked a considerable distance, and released it into the open water about 20 yards off shore in order for it to be prevented from being carried from the current and landing back on shore. I felt so good doing a great deed not just for helping this innocent animal but also bringing it back to its home. Although I already had a great respect for marine life, surfing intensified my love for it because being exposed to the ocean makes it seems as if it is my own home. When the horseshoe crab was taken out of the water, I felt as if a friend was being taken out of its home. I simply could not let that happen especially not in from of my own eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment